Your home is probably the biggest asset, and you should pledge to take good care of it in the new year.
Need A Local Handyman?
Need help with fixing up your home this coming year? Reach out to your local Detroit area handyman.
The start of the new year is a good time to start a new goals or achievable goals. One of your goals should be keep your home in great shape.
- You should conduct a home assessment. Your home has many different facets and to know what to do first when it comes to repairing your home, you should do an assessment. The best way to do this is to look at your home from my buyers perspective pretend that you were going to purchase your home again.
- It’s always a good idea to build an emergency fund for home repairs. When you own a home there’s a lot that can go wrong. Do you want to be prepared financially to take it on? You should look to be spending about one to 3% of your annual home value and repairs. Just make sure that you’re equipped for home repairs if necessary.
- One thing is to not ignore HVAC system issues and get them repaired as soon as possible. If you notice it’s taking a lot more of your HVAC system to heat your house. Have somebody come out and check it. Plus you wanna change your HVAC filter every 30 to 60 days if possible. It is recommended by an HVAC specialist in the Detroit area to have your HVAC system inspected or maintenance once a year. One way to look at this is if you have a maintenance issue during an inspection do you have time to save up for that repair?
- It’s not a bad idea to have your dryer vents cleaned out. When you have a clog dryer vent, your dryer actually works less efficient. if it’s taking longer to dry your clothes than usual, sometimes the culprit is a clogged dryer vent. Plus a clog dryer vent can cause a fire hazard. It’s best to have your dryer vent cleaning at least once a year. You should clean your dryer vent lint trap after every load.
- Tester, smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure that they all have batteries and are working properly most smoke detector components have a test button and also carbon monoxide modules have test buttons.
- To avoid water damage you should clean your gutters at least once a year by a professional gutter cleaners. Having clean gutters can avoid roof leak repairs and standing water or gutter clogs. If you do not want to get up on a ladder to clean your gutters, it is best to hire it out professionally in Michigan.
- Make sure that your house is sealed properly. You should always check to make sure that your windows and doors are insulated right. Plus, you can save some money and heating cooling bills. check for air leaks throughout the house once a year.
- Take some time to clean your appliances there’s always cried and debris under on top your appliances. Having this kind of debris are fellas can actually make your appliances run unefficiently. Pat hair is a huge contributor. You should clean your appliances at least once a year you may want to clean behind your fridge too.
- Inspect your roof always for a loose shingles, lost shingles, or any holes in your shingles as pests can destroy them and that can cause roof leaks and roof damage. You should have your roof inspected once a year and actually you can do that. You don’t necessarily have to get up on the roof itself if you can walk around the house and look for curling shingles. Doing this will let you know if your roof needs work and you can hire a roof repair specialist in the Detroit Michigan area.
- Have your chimney looked at and fireplace for repair and cleaning. Your fireplace and chimney can be a fire hazard if you don’t maintain them properly. Have a professional chimney inspection at least once a year, twice if you use it often. You can get a chimney cleaning in the Detroit area pretty easily.
- Trimming your trees at least once a year is a good thing to do. The winter time is the best time to have your trees trimmed or removed. Trees are bare in the winter and with the tree bare it’s easier to spot the limbs that need to be cut. Hanging tree limbs can buckle with the weight of snow and create damages to you property plus make it easy for pests to get into your house. That’s why we encourage tree maintenance in the Detroit area also.