Do you have chimney issues in Detroit? Get yours inspected today, call 313-513-1185.
Maintaining your chimney in Detroit isn’t all about the aesthetics its also about preserving the warmth, ensuring your home is warm, and maintaining the character of your home.
In Detroit, the weather can be humid in the summer to cold winters. The harsh weather can take a toll on your chimney over time. A Chimney is not just a functional part of your home it adds a bit of charm and cozy appeal to it especially when you add a fireplace or a wood-burning stove to the picture.
What to do with a home that has a chimney in Detroit
Owning a house with a chimney does come with its own set of responsibilities. Regular maintenance is the most crucial. Proper chimney maintenance ensures the safety and efficiency of your heating system in your home in Detroit extends the life of your chimney and prevents hazards in your house. We are going to cover how to properly take the essential steps for maintaining your chimney correctly.
- Regular inspections are paramount to help address any issues early there are currently three levels of chimney inspections you could have. ‘
- Level one: The basic inspection is to be done annually for chimneys that are in regular use for appliances and have not been under any significant changes.
- The more in-depth inspection is for any changes to the system or an event that could cause damage to the chimney. This type of inspection is called for if the property is sold.
- Level three: This is when the chimney involves a specific component of the building or the chimney is suspected of a hazard. This is when your chimney needs a closer look.
- Clear obstacles can mean bird nests, leaves, debris, or even small animals can be obstructing your chimney in Detroit. Which can lead to poor ventilation, and blockages and result in chimney fires. Installing a chimney cap with a mesh screen can prevent animals or debris from entering and still allow for smoke and gases to vent properly.
- Burning wood over time can accumulate creosote in your chimney this is a highly flammable substance that that can lead to chimney fires if not cleaned regularly. A professional chimney sweep in Detroit should clean your chimney at least once a year or more depending on how often you use it. It’s highly recommended that you use a certified chimney sweep in Detroit that knows how to get rid of the creosote buildup and knows the proper safety of your chimney.
- The exterior of your chimney may need some looking after. Always check for signs of damage. Such as cracked bricks, loose bricks, or any other issues. Not doing anything can ruin the integrity of your chimney and lead to water leaks and damage the inside of your home plus the chimney. Consider waterproofing your chimney in Detroit to prevent moisture from seeping in.
- Check the ventilation and drafts proper ventilation is vital to having a safe house and a safe option. A blocked chimney is never good. It can lead to poor air quality and health concerns If you see that it’s difficult to light a fire you may want to look at ventilation issues.
- During the inspection, you want to take concerns seriously you want to address any issues promptly. Cracks, leaks, or damage to components should be taken care of right away to prevent any more damage.
- Educate yourself on your type of chimney you should know how your chimney system works and the maintenance you need to be doing. Understand the type of fuel you using and the design of your chimney. Also, know the guidelines for the chimney from the manufacturer.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace make sure you’re using the right type of wood. Wet or green wood will make more creosote and burn less efficiently. Dry seasoned wood is best for a clean and efficient burn.
- Take the best safety measures, and install a carbon monoxide detector near the chimney or heating system. Have a fire extinguisher nearby and have the proper clearance for the chimney for hazards.
- Some chimney tasks may look DIY but many are best left for the professional chimney cleaners in the Detroit area. A qualified inspector can provide expert advice and thorough service for your chimney needs.
Our final thoughts for chimney maintenance in Detroit
If you have a chimney make sure you doing your best for regular maintenance cleanings and inspections not to mention the repairs that your chimney may need. Neglecting your chimney can lead to a world of hurt plus some safety hazards no homeowner wants to deal with. By following the steps above you are setting yourself up for chimney success and heating your home for years to come in the city of Detroit